Sunday, June 15, 2008

Disappearing Act!

MagicianAll the American Logos are disappearing before our eyes!

We baby boomers all remember the family’s first refrigerator; it was an amazing invention and a big step up from the “Ice Box” and our first Victrolla Talking Machine” and “Black & White TV”.  Thrilled when the first color TV came out.  Janice Scandones family was the first to have one on my street.  We all piled in her house to watch American Bandstand every day after school!  We all couldn't wait for the 2:00 o'clock school bell to ring and run home.  Life was simple then and so enjoyable. 

 

We all learned how to do "The Stroll" recorded by The Diamonds in 1958.  We loved that show.  Janice's mother always joined in dancing with us in front of the color TV.  She was an amazing lady and so beautiful!  I have very fond memories of Janice's family.

 

Remember RCA and General Foods? They were once household names, but not anymore. Take a walk down memory lane and reminisce with me about some companies that made a name for themselves, but didn't stand the test of time.  From Foot Locker and Home Depot to Ann Taylor and Linens 'n Things, Jewelry, Pier One......Oh my, I counted over 25 retailers that are closing their many of their stores and some all of their doors and I'm sure if I check again, the list has most likely gone higher.  Are some of them your favorites as they are mine?

 

Disappearing are soooooooo many stores we have all enjoyed shopping in for years.  People are losing their jobs and homes.  Our economy is the realized system of human activities related to the production, distribution, exchange, and consumption of goods and services. 

 

Our prosperity feels like just an illusion, a disappearing act brought on by debt, deception and foreign imports.  Hey, Americans….help out…buy American products!

Call me a devoted American, but I try to buy American products whenever possible or given the choice.  I hate that many jobs have been outsourced and the greed and reason for doing it. 

 We are all gorging on unaffordable imports for toys, kitchen appliances, clothing and cars, etc.  We have very little American owned production and earnings.  This is sad. Americans are all living on borrowed money.

Just yesterday while grocery shopping; I had the choice of buying fresh vegetables that were grown in my own state of Florida or many from foreign countries.  Well, my choice was to purchase home grown in my country not only do I feel it is safer health wise and cheaper, but I’m helping our economy!

I know everyone is caught up in a Designer Name/Label yatta yatta…..Yes, we ladies know the fashion world and oh those gorgeous styles and hefty price tags for those “Designer” labels that control us like a magnet and drag us straight to the register to make that large purchase.  I, too...am a guilty buyer but making an effort not to.  We baby boomers are feeling the crunch and this is supposed to be our “Golden” years!

Shop til your drop but for "Made in the USA labels!  Help save our country!  And, let's not forget to go GREEN!  I now take my cloth shopping bags with me and say no to plastic bags.  Every little bit helps.

 

3 comments:

  1. Rose, thank you for mentioning my family and for saying
    the nice things that you did say.  They loved you.

    I just came across a picture of us today  at our confirmation.  I will have a copy made for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janice,

    Awe, thanks....I will love seeing the Confirmation picture of us.

    Hugs, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose, I should have mentioned  that we look
    like miniature brides with our white dresses and
    white veils.  

    Thats the only time I got to wear a veil. ha ha  

    ReplyDelete