Sunday, June 1, 2008

RHS Class of 1962

How have you been?

I'm going to begin by telling a story about growing up in Revere, Massachusetts.

Storytelling is best done in a relaxed atmosphere free of distractions so where best to start this but in front of my computer and my audience will be comfortable as well and close by with the click of a mouse can respond back! How cool is that!

campfireI guess the ideal situations for telling stories would be by a campfire! See how technology has changed our lives! The storyteller, that's me and I need to give careful attention to the setting before hand - and be prepared to bring my old friends closer and create an atmosphere for us all to enjoy and leave comments and best of all for the site to be free.

I'm not fond of Classmates.com where you have to pay to be a member number one and every time they send you a message, you automatically think it is from a classmate from your graduation year and that is not so, therefore, I'm not pleased with their website. That is only my personal opinion.

Storytelling traditionally begins with a "Once upon a time..." and that is how I would like to begin.

Once upon a time, the RHS class of 1962 and their families established residency in Revere, Massachusetts so most of our forever friendships date as far back as the third grade. Can you imagine from grammar school, to high school, to adulthood!

Revere Beach faces Massachusetts Bay, five miles north of Boston. I was born in the North End of Boston and my family moved to Revere when I was in the third grade and I attended McKinley Grammar school where I first met most of my dear friends that are still my dearest friends today!

Here is a third grade class photo of McKinley School ....anyone look familiar?

Many of today's baby-boomers (that's us) are the children of who fell in love at the Oceanview or Wonderland Ballroom or the Caravan.

We all can still vividly remember the Virginia Reel, The carousels, roller coasters and all kinds of special attractions and other rides and amusements.

From all over New England, families would vacation at cottages, hotels or even in tents high up on Beachmont Hill. Some people used to call it "The Coney Island of the East".

The beach was always crowded with families that have enjoyed fine food and dining at many of Revere Beach's eating establishments. The Driftwood, Barney Scheffs, The General Edwards Inn, The Skipper and The Paul Roger House, all featured the finest in seafood. Fast food spots included Joe and Nemos, Howard Johnson's, and of course,

my favorite....the world famous Kelly's Roast Beef. Oh the memories! I know I'm probably missing some other hot spots but keep in mind my age and memory is fading for names only...but not the memories! I will have to trust my friend, Sal Carmosino, the history buff and his memory for more information.

Revere Beach has an amazing history. Today, except for the world famous Kelly's Roast Beef and

Bianchi's pizza, everything else has been removed from the famous boulevard. This chapter in Revere Beach's history has come to an end. My recent ride down the beach in May, 2008 with Sal & Carolyn Carmosino was sad to see everything gone and now replaced with high rise condos and no more diagonal parking along the beach coast. I don't know the reason for that but I'm sure someone does who still lives in Revere and can tell us why.

Do you believe that Sal & Carolyn drove all the way from CT to take me to lunch??? Amazing how friendships are forever! We have not seen each other in 46 years! Then to my surprise, Diane (Screnci) Beatrice telephoned me and said more will be joining us at the Continental for lunch that day.

All of this was not planned, it just happened and I didn't want the day to end!!!!! Even Robert Scott drove all the way down from Maine. Diane, Meri, Jeanine, Peter all live locally........such a wonderful surprise to see them all. I guess, one email traveled to another and then gracious Meri had us all back to her house for coffee and cake........Oh...what a super pleasant day and a memorable one for sure!

The magical environment of Revere Beach that existed years ago and embedded in my memory bank is gone. What is left, however, is an extremely well-kept beach and Kelly's. The beach now looks well maintained but I sure miss the old establishments that ran along the entire beach. With such a gorgeous beach stretching for miles I'm shocked that the City of Revere has not been able to capitalize on its past as Revere Beach does have such historical memories.

Speaking of my recent visit. I have some pictures to share with you.

I also have pictures of the 45th Reunion even though was unable to attend but many friends forwarded photos to me which I truly appreciated. I had a grumpy old boss that would not give me the time off to attend the gala affair which everyone boasts to be so wonderful that they did not want the day to end!

Living in Florida does not allow me to take advantage of all the events going on up north as much as I would like.

We are all now close to retirement or already retired. Oh where did all the years go? Some of us are divorced, widowed, single, married, re-married, parents, grandparents and sadly some are deceased.

My children and family all reside in New England. I'm a widow living in Florida for the past 20 years.

I missed our 45th Class Reunion but I was fortunate to get together with my dear friends during my trips back and forth to Boston. As, most of you know, I reside in South Florida.

My long time friend, Diane (Screnci) Beatrice informs me that our President of Revere High School, John Henry suggested that I compose a Newsletter, Web Page of some sort just for us. I dabble with animations and stuff but a Web Page is beyond my talents at this point. I'm flattered that people think my work is great on the computer.

I don't have everyone's email address, therefore, I do need your help here and to pass this information along to everyone you know and inform me of their email addresses.

Looking forward to your forthcoming response to our Journal, "The Lantern".

People need people
and friends need friends
And we all need love,
for a full life depends not
on vast riches or great
acclaim, not on success
or on worldly fame,
but just in knowing that
someone cares and holds us
close in their thoughts and prayers

For only the knowledge
that we're understood
makes everyday living
feel wonderfully good.
~Helen Steiner Rice~

Photobucket

20 comments:

  1. Welcome, it's me testing the Comment page....working just fine!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i grew up in beachmont on the hill spent a lot of Sundays at the beach on the rides as a kid

      Delete
  2. Rose,
    Wonderful job, as usual.  You know how much I enjoy reading your journals.
    Roxanne

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rose,

    What a great idea!  We missed the reunion as well.  Our daughter was having her baby and we couldn't take the chance on leaving.  

    Miss seeing everyone and look forward to the next reunion. Love all the memories. Where have the years gone???    

    Thanks for putting this together, Rose.

    Fondly,

    Anne (Farrell) Anderson

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Anne Farrell...........so thrilled to receive your Comment.  How did you find the site?  I tried to email you back but something went wrong to I decided to leave a comment here for you and all to see.

    Where are you living now?

    Hugs, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  5. Rose you have done an outstanding job again.  I enjoy your journal and this is a great idea.  I'm sure more people will pass it on and we will hear from more and more classmates  I agreed I was not so thrill with classmates.com either  keep up the good work  Jeanine

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for putting this together.  To answer questions about where in the world has Rich Cummings been since graduation in 1962, this is from the Preface of my book to be published in early 2009:


    I also remember sitting on Revere beach and talking to my friends about the television add for Radio Free Europe, featuring the song, “On Broadway.” Then came the Air Force, unexpected Russian language training, and assignments in Berlin and Turkey. After my military service, I graduated from Boston University with a degree in Soviet and East European Studies. Before I knew it, in 1972, I was a graduate student in Munich at the Institute for the Study of the USSR and doing research in the Radio Liberty library. I also used to walk in Munich’s wonderful city park called English Garden, behind Radio Free Europe, and looking at the long building but not daring to set foot in it.  I even applied for a job as a security guard at Radio Liberty, but was turned down.

    The CIA had stopped funding for the Institute at that time, and there was no college or university willing and able to take over its funding. The institute closed before the infamous summer Olympics in 1972. I returned to Boston and began working as a Criminal Investigator for the US Immigration and Naturalization Service. Through happenchance in 1980, I met the then Director of Security for RFE/RL, who told me he was going to leave RFE/RL and suggested I take over after him. After some hesitation, I applied for the job and was accepted.  (and the rest has been history).  

    Greetings to all who read this.  Rich Cummings, Düsseldorf, Germany

    ReplyDelete
  7. We live in Ramona, CA which is an unincorporated area of San Diego.  Actually, Rose, you can google Mt. Woodson Golf Club and see pictures of the area.  We just love it here.  Our son John lives in Mt. Woodson also.  It's wonderful having them a few doors away.

    We had 4 kids, John who is 40, Lauren is 38, Meridith is 31 and Ryan is 26; 4 grandchildren.  John as 2; Devyn is 11, Cameron Jack is 6.  Meridith has Brooke who is 5 and Anabelle 9 months.  Lauren and Ryan are not married. Ryan has had a relationship now for 5 years.  I don't know what's taking him so long.  Lauren has not found Mr. Right.  

    Where in Florida are you?  We were in St. Petersburg last June for a wedding.

    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Anne..........

    So glad to hear from you and that you have left comments!  I'm thrilled that everyone is enjoying this Journal/Blog so far.

    To answer your question, I live in Boca Raton, FL.  Janice Scandone lives in St. Petersburg, FL.  Dora and I visited her last year and Janice will be visiting me soon.

    Yes, I did google your area..............breathtaking.  So happy you have such a wonderful family.  

    If you are ever in my area...........please stop by for a visit.

    Hugs, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Rose:

    Thanks for all your hard work.  I know you devoted a
    lot of time to put this together.  

    I check everyday for new entries, Thanks again.
    Janice Scandone

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi all,
    Love all the old pics, Kelly's the beach,great memories. Life was sure simple.
    The good old days
    Donna Ying

    ReplyDelete
  11. Rose,
    I think I finally got this to work...hopefully.
    This a great way to reconnect with many of our old classmates.
    We cant thank you enough.....
    For anyone who remembers Miss Mafera, the Italian teacher and
    Dean of Girls, she made it to age 99 passing away in 2004.
    Joanne Nardone and I saw her frequently at a nursing home
    and finally at her funeral in 2004.
    She was most defintely, my most unforgettable teacher!
    Sal Carmosino

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sal,

    Yippee! you finally got an AOL account....Kudos!

    Yes, I definitely remember Ms. Mafera.  She had me in tears most days in school.  She was tough.  I thought I could breeze through her class because I could speak fluent Italian.  But she put me straight the first day that my "Slang" Italian from Abruzzi would not cut it in her class room!

    Rose

    ReplyDelete
  13. Paula Taylor Class of 62

    I had the wonderful opportunity to grow up in Revere.
    I graduated with the class of 62 and had a ball at the
    class reunion last August.
    I remember hanging in the Double E with all my friends
    thinking how cool we all were dancing and smoking.
    I remember the great football and hockey team we
    had.
    The dances at Father Brennan Hall on Friday nights
    and how all the girls waited for the chance to dance with
    Butchie Rebholtz because he was the best dancer.
    I remember sitting down in front of Joe and Nemo's on
    Revere Street and then walking the beach to see all the
    Immaculate kids that sat down the other end and then on
    to Shirley Ave area to see the kids from the Ave.
    It is funny that now I am back at Revere High again only
    this time as security and the grandparents that come in
    now are from the class of 62. I also see Brian Rebholtz
    and Billy Melchionno every day. Brian also works in the
    Revere School system and Billy walks his dog every
    morning in the field behind the school.
    I have also been going online to "RevereBeach.com and see
    alot of messages from alot of people from Revere.
    The class of 63 is having there class reunion in September
    and I plan on going in place of my sister Ellie who passed
    away February of this year.
    Take care and I hope all are well and happy.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Paula, thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment and sharing your memories with us.


    Hugs, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  15. HI FROM PETER PIERCE BEEN A LONG TIME WOW

    ReplyDelete
  16. HI ITS BEEN A LONG TIME LETS SEE after 62 medical photographer mass gen hospital tv film editor channel 7 56 5 now retired have a son lives in westboro a computer genius a daughter lives in ocala fl. owns show horses i have one grandson 4 yrs old and another on its way in sept. i have a house in ocala fl. but i live i mass. my email is adriannight@comcast.net

    ReplyDelete
  17. p.s i also have been married for 46 yrs wow

    ReplyDelete
  18. also the mc kinley school pic. thats me back row 3rd from the right.

    ReplyDelete
  19. rose great site having a ball catching up on all the news from classmates its been a long long time i am enjoying the site great job a little sad to see the list of classmates that have passed on may they rest in peace i will be posting stuff and sending you thing of intrest in the coming wks.. your old classmate peter pierce

    ReplyDelete