Friday, December 4, 2009

Chanukah, Chanukkah, Hanukkah, Hanuka is approaching!




I'm a bit confused as to the correct spelling of Hanukkah, as I found many different ways to spell it??????  Don't know the reason why so I chose to use Lucy the Latke's way!  LOL

Holidays preserve the memory of significant events, and traditions continue the practice of cherished values. Hanukkah is a time for family, celebration and joy -- and also a time for remembering the reasons for celebrating. The light of the Hanukkah candles is a reminder of past miracles, and of the continuing pursuit of peaceful Jewish ideals.


My Jewish girlfriend told me years ago that the menorah itself has given rise over the centuries to several Hanukkah customs -- and like the menorah, their origins are not commonly known. For instance, I knew families traditionally eat potato pancakes ("latkes") but I never knew about the (jelly doughnuts) during Hanukkah. I also did not know that the fried food is a reminder of the oil that provided the Miracle of Lights. And while Jews exchange gifts on Hanukkah, it is a misconception that Hanukkah is the "Jewish Christmas."

So, to our Jewish Classmates, enjoy your holiday, however, you choose to spell it.





3 comments:

  1. To our Jewish Classmates,

    I know Hanukkah is approaching and I would like to wish all of you a wonderful holiday no matter how you spell it.

    Hugs, Rose

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't think I ever realized the spellings of this. I always knew there were a few but not than many.Growing up my best friend was Jewish, we always tried to share in each others holidays and traditions. Her family maintaied a very Kosher house and I even tried to follow the tradition of keep meat and milk "X" hours apart if I was eating at her house. They even had the seperate sets of dishes for this. ( I know the words, I just can't spell them)
    She did not eat meat on Friday if she was eating at my house. It was just so natural for us to try to follow each others traditions when ever we could. It was a great way to grow up we shared our relegion with each other. As I said I still remember and respect these things today, I just can't spell these words !!!!LOL
    Hey Joe Greenberg, spell them out for me !
    Enjoy your holiday !cermychi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Rose: I hope you are well and that your family is enjoying the holiday season. I am writing to wish you a merry Christmas and a merry Christmas and a happy Chanukah to all of my friends and classmates. I hope this is your best holiday season ever and I truly hope we can get together again in the new year. Be well, Joe Greenberg

    ReplyDelete